|R.T. WILSON RUINS
Bluffton, South Carolina
R.T. Wilson, Jr. financier and horse racing aficionado, commissioned construction of Palmetto Bluff in 1910 on land his father had purchased as a hunting retreat in the late 1800’s. The 72-room mansion was the site of numerous grand parties until a fire destroyed most of the site in 1926. The ghostly remains of the mansion consisted only of some masonry walls and large columns. The ruins were to be included as a centerpiece for a new community development in Bluffton, South Carolina.
The large existing columns posed as a structural and safety hazard due to their instability. The charge was to design a method in which the columns could be safely dismantled and the remaining area could be excavated and repaired to create a formal center of the new development.
SCOPE OF SERVICE